Chargrilled Mediterranean Beef Lasagne
A rustic, homemade Mediterranean lasagne that is perfect for the family or when you want some comfort food.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 100 g frozen diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500 g frozen minced beef steak
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml water hot
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp frozen basil
- 1 tsp frozen oregano
- 80 g cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp butter (for the sauce)
- 50 g cheddar cheese and Grana Padang (for the top)
- Dried lasagne sheets
- 500 g Frozen chargrilled Mediterranean vegetables
- Preheat oven to 180 C and lightly grease a 1.2 litre casserole dish.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet or saucepan over a medium high heat and gently saute the onions until they defrost and begin to soften.
- Add the beef mince and season well with salt and pepper. Fry until browned completely.
- Stir in the tomato puree and fry a few more minutes. Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, herbs, stock cube and hot water, combine well, turn down temperature and simmer on medium-low for approximately 10 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the butter in a medium saucepan until it begins to bubble a bit. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute.
- Remove from the heat, whisk in the milk until combined and return back to the heat, stirring occasionally, while the mixture thickens. When the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat and stir in 80 grams of the cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- To assemble, place a ladleful of sauce onto the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with a layer of dried lasagne sheets. Spoon the remaining beef mixture over the top of the pasta and sprinkle with some Grana Padano cheese.
- Add another layer of lasagne sheets, and top with the frozen chargrilled Mediterranean vegetables. Top with more lasagne sheets. Spoon over the cheese sauce until the last layer of pasta is completely covered.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and Grana Padang and bake in a preheated 190 C oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Serve with a salad and garlic bread.