Creamy Garlic & Basil Mash with Sausages & Gravy
This is a great twist on a comfort food classic and a really easy way of using frozen herbs to great effect.
- 1 tsbp sunflower oil
- 2 onions
- 8 sausages
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml double cream
- 3 tbsp frozen basil chopped
- 1½ tbsp frozen garlic chopped
- 500 ml meat gravy
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 portions frozen mashed potato
- Oven cook or grill the sausages until brown and cooked through.
- While the sausages are cooking, place the butter in a small pan and gently cook the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes without colour.
- Cook the frozen mashed potato as per the instructions on the pack.
- Add the seasoning to the mash, mix well, then add the cream, garlic butter mix, the frozen basil and combine. Adjust the consistency of the mash if needed by adding more cream.
- Gently cook the onions in the sunflower oil for approx 10 minutes until softened and golden brown all over, add the gravy and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve the sausages with the basil and garlic mash and the onion gravy.