Easy Spinach Pie by Lucy Parissi
A golden pastry spinach pie delight. This dish is not only easy to make but tastes fantastic too.
- 800 g chopped frozen spinach
- 400 g feta cheese crumbled
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cubes frozen dill
- 2 cubes frozen flat leaf parsley chopped
- 8 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 leeks finely chopped
- 1 pack frozen filo pastry
- 125 g melted butter
- Place the frozen spinach cubes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer until spinach has defrosted and drain thoroughly. Press down on the sieve to get rid of most of the water or squeeze the spinach in a cheesecloth.
- Sauté the green onions and leeks in a pan with a splash of olive oil until soft. Add the spinach and herbs and cook for a bit longer. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the crumbled feta and eggs to the spinach. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Brush your pie dish with the melted butter then start layering the filo pastry, brushing each layer with butter, in the dish letting the ends hang over the edge. Layer 5-6 filo squares over the bottom of the dish then add the filling in an even layer. Fold the edges over the top and brush with butter.
- Brush four filo squares with the melted butter then scrunch together and cover the entire surface of the pie.
- Bake for 45 minutes, covering with foil after 15-20 minutes to avoid the pie colouring too quickly. Cool before slicing (otherwise you won't be able to slice neatly.)